It's that time of the year again--reading challenge time! Each year, I like to choose (or create) some sort of reading challenge to do in the upcoming year. Beyond keeping me focused on reading, it's also just fun to have a list or chart to check off (yes, I'm a nerd.) But based on the volume of reading challenges that pop up each year, I know I'm not the only one. :)
For the past few years, I've done the Push Your Boundaries reading challenge, which was a challenge I created to expand my reading selections beyond my comfort zone reads. I've really enjoyed that challenge and it's still one you can use for 2017. All the info and downloads are here for that challenge. But this year, I'm looking for something a little lighter and with more flexibility since I know it's going to be an exceptionally busy year. I also wanted to incorporate movies and TV because I've found that I've stopped watching TV (because of that pesky distraction of the smartphone at night).
Therefore, inspired by the exercise I did where you choose a one-word theme for the year, I've created the...
2017 Read & Watch Challenge
Here's how it works:
1. Each month will have a one-word theme.
2. You will read a book and watch a movie or TV show that match the theme.
3. You can use the theme word however you see fit. I'll give some ideas about how to play with a theme below.
4. Each month here on the blog and in my newsletter, I will feature the word, tell you what I plan to read and watch, give a few suggestions, and I will also invite "tastemakers" (writers, book bloggers, editors) to share some suggestions on what to read. I also plan to have a Reader of the Month offer a recommendation. So you'll get a number of different perspectives and options if you're having trouble picking something out or if you just want a great new recommendation. :)
5. Track Your Progress. A few options:
- Sign up for my newsletter and get the printable Fearless Romantics Reading Journal to track all your reading this year and this handy dandy checklist for the challenge.
- Keep a Pinterest board to pin your book covers and movies.
- Keep a page in your journal or planner.
- Post on Instagram
6. Chat about it online using the hashtag #ReadWatch17
How the theme words work
I purposely chose words that could be up for interpretation. I don't like to be told what to read, lol, so this allows for maximum flexibility while still being a fun challenge. I can't wait to see how you guys interpret them. But each month I'll brainstorm ideas to give your creativity a nudge if it needs it. For instance, here are ideas for January's theme word
- The start of a book series or film franchise or TV series
- A book you started and put down but still want to read
- A book or movie about beginnings
- A non-fiction book or documentary about some habit or activity you want to begin in the new year
- A book or movie with the word Begin or Beginning in the title
- A book or film that follows a character from birth.
See what I mean? The possibilities are endless. :)
Want to join the fun?
Sign up for my newsletter and get your checklist and free reading journal. Every two weeks, you'll get an email from me with book challenge info and recommendations along with my other blog content (posts about books, productivity, life, contests, etc.) I try to make my newsletter useful and fun. Promo is rare.
Or, you can also do this solo and not officially sign up. Just be sure to check out the blog once a month if you'd like book and movie recommendations or want to chat with other readers in the challenge.
Stay tuned for the January Read & Watch Challenge post. But until then, who's with me? :)